Tuesday, January 23, 2007

SOTU and 2 links

Like perhaps many of you I watched the State of the Union address this evening. Atrios made it much easier by posting the text of the president’s speech at 9:01 so I could read along as he spoke. People who are far more knowledgeable and informed than I am will be talking and writing about this for days if not weeks and I encourage you to pay attention to them; I have little to say about it. The things that caught my eye were that Sen. Barack Obama was sitting in front of Sen. Hillary Clinton and I think that was Sen. Bob Casey, Jr. next to her. Sens. John McCain and Arlen Specter were sitting near each other. Was it just me or did Condoleezza Rice look like she was doing an impression of Snoopy doing an impression of a vulture? As a personal note it was great to see Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi sitting behind the president.

For your amusement until blog posts resume tomorrow night I offer these two items:

The Politico, at www.politico.com, has been officially launched. If you want to follow the congress, the presidential race, DC political gossip, and the like, give it a looksee.

PoliticsPA has the text of Jonathan Newman’s testimony before the PA Senate’s Law and Justice Committee. Interesting stuff.

4 comments:

Sparky Duck said...

thats the best description of Condi's look I have heard so far, better then a zombie

AboveAvgJane said...

That's just how it struck me --the Snoopy zombie look. It was startling that she held that look so long, surely she must have realized a camera was on her... And I wonder who she was looking at -- was she holding her breath that W did okay and mentally urging him on, or was she giving someone a death look? Inquiring minds.....

Anonymous said...

So true about Condi! The camera panned on to her and it was as if she ate really bad flan or she was visibly miffed about something. Her look actually made me feel slightly uncomfortable!

AboveAvgJane said...

joeyc, Mr. J walked into the room while the camera was on Condi and he visibly jumped. Someone at work said he had the same reaction. Scary.