Thursday, July 10, 2008

Rick Taylor Statement on BonusGate

One of the people charged today with theft for doing campaign work while on the state payroll was Rachel Manzo. It was mentioned in the Attorney General's findings that for a brief period she was involved with Rick Taylor's campaign for the 151st state house seat prior to the 2006 election. Rep. Taylor has released a statement saying that he was unaware Manzo was on the state payroll. Having met Taylor several times now and having followed some of his legislative work I would believe this is true. He may not be among the most charismatic of men but he is among those who value honesty and integrity.

STATEMENT FROM REPRESENTATIVE RICK TAYLOR CONCERNING RACHEL MANZO

I firmly believe that any political work or activity that is paid with taxpayer funds is illegal and should be prosecuted. If true, the attorney general's allegations concerning former elected officials and their staffers are troubling.

In the fall of 2006, I decided to change my campaign manager. Since my campaign manager was paid for by the House Democratic Campaign Committee I contacted the committee to alert them of my decision and to request a replacement staffer.

For the final two weeks of my campaign, HDCC provided me with Rachel Manzo. It was my understanding that Ms. Manzo would be paid by HDCC, use her vacation time, or do both while serving my campaign. I never had any knowledge about any alleged illegal activity, including Ms. Manzo being paid with public money while performing political work. Additionally, other than a $345.21 expense reimbursement, my campaign made no payments to Ms. Manzo.

At no time did I have any knowledge of any other state employee, who may have volunteered on my campaign, being paid by public money while participating on my campaign, nor am I aware of any other campaign activity that was paid for by taxpayer money. I would never have allowed it.

No comments: