Thursday, October 02, 2008

Debate Thoughts

In case anyone was wondering, here are the things about the vice presidential debate that most struck me, in no particular order:

* Sarah Palin kept talking about the American People, and Joe Biden mentioned the middle class, though not as often. These are not homogeneous groups, much as we would all like to think so. Palin's "greedy and corrupt" Wall Streeters are also American people, and some of them are middle class. These phrases always seem so patronizing. Retirees, small business owners, young couples with small children -- all may be middle class and American people, but their needs and priorities will be different. It always irks me when someone lumps us all in together like that.

* Anyone who says that all American mothers think alike has never ever set foot in a pta meeting or attended a kids' soccer game. Sarah Palin is not a stronger representative of my views that anyone else running for president or vice president.

* Kudos to Joe Biden for saying that just because he is a man it cannot be said that he doesn't know the concerns of single parents or those with injured children.

* Mr. J says that the slight twang in my voice becomes more pronounced whenever we visit with relatives (rural but not Southern) and my grammar slips when I'm out with friends having a good time. But in public, professional settings I make a point to speak well. The taxpayers of this country paid for my college education (grants and loans), the least I can do in return is sound like I learned something. Gov Palin does not earn points with me for dropping her final "g"s (goin', workin', etc.). If you are applying to be the second most prominent person in government, enunciate correctly. If I wanted to vote for Gomer Pyle I'd write in his name.

* Some of Gov. Palin's answers seemed repetitive -- "maverick" "help the American people" and so on. Sen. Biden's repeated attacks on Sen. McCain. It just makes it difficult to watch. Just answer the question, which I thought Biden did more often than Palin.

No comments: